Wednesday 16 July 2008

Inspiring words

Blog Prompt 4 : Ever been inspired by a poem? Share it and explain why you value it.

The first poem which ever really 'spoke' to me was a Norman MacCaig poem which we did at school, it is called 'Incident'.

Incident
I look across the table and think
(fiery with love)
Ask me, go on, ask me
to do something impossible
something freakishly useless,
something unimaginable and inimitable

Like making a finger break into blossom
or walking half an hour in 20 minutes
or remembering tomorrow

I will you to ask it
But all you say it
'Will you give me a cigarette please?'
and I smile and

Returning to the marvelous world
of possibilities
I give you one
with a hand that trembles
with a human trembling

I just love the unspokeness of the emotions, the fact that there are so many things one person wants to say but feels, for whatever reason, unable to say. I've felt like that many times, wanting to say things but unable to get them out.

No comments: